How does it work?
Discover and Plan breaks down into four phases:
- Requirements collection: We facilitate a kickoff with your stakeholders (executive director, registrar, administrative staff, board members, members at large, etc.) to discuss:
- Who will use this software,
- Why they will use it, and
What their specific requirements are.
This kickoff meeting will either be through Zoom or in-person, depending on the circumstances.
- Prototype: We create a clickable, browser-based prototype that allows you to see and interact with major features. This prototype looks and acts like real software, only all the data and pages are faked. Expect to go through multiple revisions as we narrow down to the correct vision for each requirement.
- Collaborative feature spreadsheet: Because we have a prototype showing exactly what a feature “is”, we can quote a price for it. With these prices, we sit down together and build the final scope of the project by prioritizing each individual feature based on need, cost, and risk and determining what fits inside your budget. “That isn’t worth $400, remove it from scope” and “what are the lower risk alternatives?” are actual phrases you will say!
- Final estimate and schedule: When the feature spreadsheet has been prioritized you will receive a Develop and Launch estimate to complete the project. This estimate is based on what we agree you need to meet your goals, nothing more or less.
Why do we need to go through Discover and Plan?
Everyone has a bad software story. We want to make sure that yours is a good one! We go through Discover and Plan to ensure your risk and cost are as small as possible. Together we refine your ideas with our expert facilitation to achieve clarity and confidence. Discover and Plan will:
- Reduce the total cost of the project
- Reduce project uncertainty and risk
- Support future project decision making
- Provide the framework for determining the final schedule and cost
We already completed the planning, can you estimate based on that?
No. There are a few reasons why we require Discover and Plan before we are able to provide a cost for Develop and Launch:
- You have a clear vision for what you want for your association, but we don’t. Not yet. Discover and Plan ensures our team can quickly learn as much as possible about your association’s unique needs, using our proven process. This substantially reduces the risk of the project going over time and budget.
- You don’t know what you don’t know. Some of the ideas or approaches that you might have decided to take may have better alternatives. Just like you’re an expert in your field, we are experts in ours. We need the opportunity to share our knowledge and expertise to build you the best software possible!
How much does Discover and Plan cost?
Starting at $15,000.
How long does Discover and Plan take to complete?
What’s the next phase after Discover and Plan?
We move into Develop and Launch!