How does it work?
Develop and launch is based on the prototype, feature sheet, estimate, and schedule we built together during Discover and Plan.
- Weekly or bi-weekly meetings: At the same time every week, we meet or have a phone call for 20 to 40 minutes to provide an update on the status of the project, ask questions, and make decisions as the project progresses.
- Progress demos: When the web application has progressed far enough we will review each feature together. These reviews happen with video conferencing / screen sharing as part of our regular weekly meetings. A secure staging server is available for you to review progress and you may access it at any point during development.
- Pre-launch: Before launch, an exhaustive automated and manual testing phase occurs. Edge cases or confusing processes are ironed out! We ensure your organization has the training they need to use the software and coordinate a launch date.
- Launch: When you know everything is ready to go, we go live! You should expect everything to go smoothly.
Where does it fit in the overall process?
Develop and Launch is Phase 2 out of our 3 phase process for designing and developing custom association management software. The first phase is Discover and Plan, and the third phase is Support and Improve.
Can I change features during development?
Because we know that all projects will have something unexpected come up during development, we plan for it. Yes, you can change features. When this happens, there are two options:
- Keep your budget the same, remove a less important but similarly priced feature, and add the new feature.
- Increase your budget and add the new feature.
We give you the tools and information to weigh the choices and make a confident decision.
Why do we need to meet on a set schedule?
Our experience is that a weekly or bi-weekly meeting rhythm is just the right amount of project meetings. Our goals are communication, accountability, and focus:
- Communication: every meeting you will know what has been done since our last meeting, what will be done before our next meeting, and what’s preventing us from getting something specific done. We’ll provide an update on schedule and solve any new issues that have cropped up. You will have no uncertainty about project status!
- Accountability: shared action items help us stay accountable to one another. If we promise to do something, we write it down as an action item which will appear on the next week’s agenda. Of course, the same goes for anything you promise!
- Focus: regular meetings let us schedule discussions and decisions that might otherwise interrupt day-to-day work, helping all stakeholders focus. Do you really want your inbox full of one-off project questions and dozens of email threads every week? We don’t either, and “let’s add that to our next check-in agenda” is a powerful phrase for focus.
What is the minimum Develop and Launch cost?
We recommend a minimum budget of $35,000.
The scope and cost are determined collaboratively through Discover and Plan. We recommend the total cost is no more than 80% of your actual budget. This way you have some flexibility if new requirements come up during development and after launch (for Support and Improve!)
What is the minimum timeline for Develop and Launch?
We recommend a minimum schedule of 3 months.
What are the ongoing fixed costs?
You can expect $100/mo in hosting costs, billed directly to you through our recommended cloud host. We do not resell hosting, domains, or other related services.